Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Mission memory

Part of my mission in Chicago was spanish speaking and I loved it! The people love to give us something when we would leave their houses. One of my fondest memories was when they would give us mangoes. Of course we wouldn't have knives with us to cut them open. So, my companion and I would peel them with our teet and then savor every last bite we could get. I recall the juice just running down our arms and dripping off our elbows. They were so good!

Well, I read a post on a friends blog a while ago about a mango and it brought back this memory. It had me craving a mango, but they are expensive. Then our farmer's market had them on sale 3/$1. I jumped on it! I tried to get my picky eaters to try it. My die hard fruit boy took on the challenge. He was skeptical, but once he took a bite he was hooked. In 1 day we had all 3 eaten. And today at the store he saw them again and he begged me to get more, lucky for him they are still on sale. I picked out 1 and then had a hard time finding another. I thought he was going to break down right there in the store over a mango! Don't worry I found 2 more good ones and all is good. When I tried to calm him down he says, "I don't think I can eat anything else unless I get more of those." What do I do next week when the mangoes aren't on sale?
But I am glad that he enjoys them as much as I do.

4 comments:

Christine said...

We love mangoes too! But Jacob, my picky eater, won't eat them.

RM said...

sounds like the boys in my house; morgan and beckton...although morgan is still says they're better in the tropics!

Homeplace said...

Mangos!!!!! yum yum--Hope that they stay on sale for a while they should shouldn't they? What about Natalie did she try them? what was her thoughts on Mangos?

Homeplace said...
This comment has been removed by the author.