Saturday, March 24, 2012

1st Place Moments

The Pine Wood Derby has never been something that I look forward to. Because it is a cub scout thing we have our boys choose their own design and help cut it, everything. It is suppose to be their car. However, due to the fact that neither one of us knows what we are doing our cars have never done very well in the races. This year we got help from someone else and worked really hard to make the car a winner! But to no avail. There were brothers who wiped everyone else out of the race. (Come to find out weeks after the race that they bought theirs already finished online!) Luckily our son has a good attitude and left the race disappointed in his car, but not depressed.

Then they announce at the next den meeting that at the next pack meeting there is going to be a cake decorating contest. The wheels in our head started turning. We could come back at them with an awesome cake! I was bound and determined to help my kid shine! This was all I thought about for weeks, planning the layout, finding all the right stuff and recruiting help where I was unsure. The day of the meeting this was all I worked on. It took my entire day! Lucky for me they were serving dinner at the pack meeting or my family would have gone to the soup kitchen that evening! This was our end result, the theme was the great outdoors.

Ev was so excited to take his cake in and let everyone see it. And I hoped that he would win. Well, the awards weren't the same as the Pine Wood Derby. No 1st, 2nd or 3rd place. It was most inspiring or best decorated prizes. Ev's got the best Cub Scout spirit award. I was a little disappointed for him. But hearing him talk about how we did it and what he helped with on the cake made me realize something. He didn't win a certain place with that cake. But doing this cake together gave him and me (and his siblings, we all helped) a fantastic time together. We still talk about making the people or the fire. That cake holds a lot of memories for each of us and that is far more important than a 1st place ribbon.

No comments: