Thursday, January 29, 2009

What to do when school is cancelled?

School was cancelled here for 2 days this week due to an ice storm. The ice storms can produce some pretty thick ice. Our ice scrapper broke while my husband was scrapping our cars off! Even today the top of our driveway is still pretty slick and my poor flower bed is still a bed of ice. So, while school was out we played. The boys got creative with our hill and their little sisters toys. I have realized that even if you don't have toddlers, kids will still play with the toys.


This is what we woke up to Wednesday morning. This is our grass changed into little blades of ice. The kids thought it was great how the grass was crunchy.
Zach was amazed at how the ice froze coming out of the drain. A few hours later as it was just pouring water out he was still captured. His poor hands were not dry after this.


The kids were all excited when they saw this and starting planning how they were going to build a snowman! I just chuckled inside and smiled. I wish I could have captured their faces when they went to make a ball with the ice. Utter disappointment and surprise.

But they did enjoy knocking the ice off of everything in sight. Natalie thought that one of our crayons were left outside. She said, "Mommy look. My crayon got cold" After I explained to her what it was I had to keep my eye on her. She wanted to lick all the ice! (she loves ice) That would have been fun to try and fix.

My tulips started to come up just before our storm and now they are part of an ice lake. I hope they survived.

This was their favorite thing. They used Natalie's toys and slid down our hill out back. It was perfect! The fence's shadow kept the ice from melting up there. They had a lot of fun and now they are back in school and I miss them already. Hopefully we can get another storm before winter is over.

2 comments:

The Terry Clan said...

Yea!! This is fresh off the press!!! I can't believe that! CRAZY Texas weather! I bet that the kids were thrilled to not have school though. We sure do miss you!

me said...

I am really offended we were not invited over for little tykes toys-ice sledding. I thought you said you were busy and that is why you weren't coming for chilli-cheese dogs... now I see what you are really doing. Apparently I now have to be a blog stalker to confirm your whereabouts. Lucky you.